a christmas in the making


DSCN2903

Can't have Xmas with the family this year. Well, truth be it that I couldn't resign myself to such a scenario. So.. I organised my own pre-christmas dinner party, the very next day after my touch down in Singapore. With a strong crowd of 13 making their appearance at the dinner table, I milked whatever I was worthed. A carnivorous meal was what I had in mind, to have the the table brimming full of meat and guests with food spilling out of their ears after. *wince*

DSCN2899

In the end, the hearty subsistence proved a little too overbearing for some. Thank goodness for the greens appearance. The menu consisting of the carnivorous, crisp-skin high roast chicken in mustard garlic butter with thyme, roast pork, assorted sausages, crabmeat cocktail salad and the lighter carrots with spiced butter and avocado,bacon and cabbage salad with garlic mustard vinaigrette. The latter would have to be my favourite of the lot, combining the likes of crisp bacon strips with rich avocado and fresh cabbage in every bite. Promise to share the recipe with you guys later on!

DSCN2897

Desserts after a bout of Rosemount's 'O' was yet another tidal wave of flavor. Blueberry english trifle inspired by Sherry Yard. Cubes of homemade sponge cake in good spirits with a slight purple hue from the showering of ginger spiked blueberry preserves and enveloped in a sea of rich sherry vanilla bean custard. I thoroughly enjoyed this dessert but maybe a little tinge of gelatin would hold it all together next time. *grins*

DSCN2901

Be returning to the chill of Dubaian nights in 2 days time, tumbling emotions fill my insides. But I guess there are certain advantages to spending time overseas, for once, communicating with the folks doesn't seem such a Herculean task anymore.. strange. Thank you, all my lovely family members for your precious appearance at my dinner party; despite my several blunders and less than gracious demeanor, I'm just blessed to be able to fill your bellies. From the bottom of my heart.

family

Avocado, Bacon and Cabbage Salad with Garlic Mustard Vinaigrette
serves 8, recipe taken from Women's Weekly

1/4 medium (400g) cabbage
4 (320g) bacon rashers
1 bunch chives
2 large avocados, sliced

GARLIC MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tblspoon red wine vinegar
2 tsp seeded mustard
2 cloves garlic, crushed

1. Finely shred cabbage using a sharp knife or mandoline.
2. Cook Bacon in a frying pan until crisp, drain on absorbent paper, chop or break coarsely
3.Combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a screw top jar, shake well. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
4.Just before serving, combine cabbage and chives and half the garlic mustard vinaigrette in a large bowl.
5. Place cabbage on a platter, toss gently. Top with avocado slices and bacon. Drizzle with vinaigrette.



No comments: