Do I love you because you're beautiful

Lyrics to ponder over...

Lea Salonga... ahhh! Pratically dragged my mum to watch the Rodgers and Hammerstein - Cinderella musical at the esplanade. It was all a magical performance.. and Lea Salonga, utter brilliance. The song that struck me the most was 'Do I love you because you're beautiful'; suddenly, it all made sense to me. Do you fall in love with someone because in the world's eyes she/he is perfect, or will an imperfect being transform into someone beautiful when you've fallen in love? that all flaws be hidden from your eyes, as though shrouded by a mysterious cloud when he/she becomes the object of you deepest fantasies and hopes? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say... this is so true.

this version is from the TV version of Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella. A bit more cinematic of course. Much prefer the musical version which can be viewed here

Do i love you because you are beautiful?
Do I love you because you're beautiful,
or are you beautiful because I love you?
Am I making believe I see in you
a girl too lovely to be really true?

Do I want you because you're wonderful,
or are you wonderful because I want you?
Are you the sweet invention of a lover's dream
or are you really as beautiful as you seem?

Am I making believe I see in you
a man too perfect to be really true?
Do I want you because you're wonderful,
or are you wonderful because I want you?

Are you the sweet invention of a lover's dream
or are you really as wonderful as you seem?

at least for me, I live in blissful knowledge that my loved one has become the fixation of my admiration and adoration because I love him...

No comments: