#33 SHF: Tropical Paradise

SHF #33: Malibu Pineapple Cupcakes Yeeps!!! I’ve been a big fan of the sugar high Friday for the longest time. Would often find myself gazing at the lovely compilations of the sweetest things, eyes glued to the monitor screen. Always wanted to participate in one of these but somehow never found the determination or motivation to get my lazy ass moving about creating something according to theme. Well, at least times have changed... and I found the excellent chance to bake something to my urges tt perfectly fit in the theme of the #33 SHF: TROPICAL PARADISE! Woots... by the way, its hosted by our lovely Mary from alpineberry this time around. Do check it out at after the compilations have been made on the Friday August 3rd.

When I think of the tropics. I think tropical fruits, cocktails by the beach, little umbrellas and coconut trees sprawling the beach. Having live in the tropics for all my 20 years. I initially thought that this theme would be a tough one. However, I spoke too soon. Had big plans for the constructing of a Malibu pineapple cupcake, inspired by a lovely cocktail I had just recently at Zouk ( a hot nightspot in Singapore); being a treat from a very special friend of mine, I was fixed on re-creating the drink just the way I had it that night. Sweet, seductive and alluring.

I started off with nothing, frantically digging thru my recipe books for inspiration. Hence I decided on a simple yellow cupcake base. Drained canned pineapples and soaked them in Malibu, light coconut rum infused with cinnamon powder for that extra oomph... (Not to mention it’s my favorite ingredient ever!). Then, after mixing the batter, all of which was done with a certain sense of randomness until I got a consistency that I liked. Hence I apologise if the amounts of Malibu, Milk and Sour Cream added in the recipe are not reliable. I added the now plump and juicy drained pineapples into the mixture and carefully folded them in before piping them into my cupcake liners in the muffin trays. After a long, anxious wait of 23 mins, the cupcakes were ready. And the smell whiffing out from the oven was heavenly! Then I set out to make the frosting. Settled on a pineapple flavored seven-min frosting inspired from Elinor Klivans “Cupcakes” book. This I thought would perfectly compliment the cupcake as I didn’t want too sweet a frosting that would steal the show from the flavorful cakes. Slathering the fluffy frosting on the lovely cupcake, I then proceeded to dip the tops of the cakes in shredded coconut to add a bit of texture to the cake.

Then it was time for the taste test. It was love at first bite… at least for Auntie Nora. I was a tad disappointed as somehow the pineapple bits as succulent as they were fell short of carrying the flavor of the Malibu. Perhaps I would soak these in the alcohol over night he next time. But overall, I must say that this was a winner recipe considering that I configured the entire thing myself. Yippee! Haha. Fyi, mummy wolved down one in about 5 seconds and daddy ate 2 to himself! Haha.

So tts it for my first sugar high Friday. Hope all u peeps love it. Looking forward to more SHFs!!!
Recipe for Malibu Pineapple Cupcakes
This recipe makes 12 regular cupcakes

Ingredients:
1¼ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 large egg and 1 large egg yolk
¾ cups sugar
½ cup canola oil
4 tsp Malibu coconut rum
1/3 cup sour cream
3 tbsp milk
1 cup Pineapple chunks soaked in cinnamon infused Malibu well drained

For frosting:
2 large egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
4 tbsp pineapple juice
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp water

Steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. line the muffin tray with cupcake liners
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together
4. Cream the eggs and yolk with the sugar till light and fluffy
5. mix in the oil, Malibu until well incorporated
6. Mix in the sour cream
7. Add the flour into the mixture in two batches, each time adding milk until. Add the remaining flour mixture and milk till a consistency desired.
8. Add in the drained pineapple chunks into the mixture and gently fold them in.
9. Pipe them into the cupcakes liners till about 2/3 full (to achieve a high hat) and put them in the oven for approximately 23 mins
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool on racks for about 5 mins before removing them to rest on the cake grills
11. Prepare frosting, in a bowl, heat up the egg whites and other ingredients using the double boiler method.
12. Beat on high speed until frosting forms a soft peak that stands up straight for about 7 mins.
13. Remove from heat and beat for another 2 mins to further thicken up the frosting.
14. Using a thick metal spatula, spread thick frosting over the cupcake and dip gently into a bowl filled with desiccated coconut to allow for an even coating.
15. Enjoy! *YUMZ*

No comments: